Joe and I were planning on serving walking tacos at our Super Bowl party this past weekend. However with the abundance of other snacks we pulled the taco plug leaving a bag of perfectly ripened avocados with no purpose. A few are destined for a fruity, citrusy salad (which I will be posting about later) but I wanted to expand my avocado horizons. What to make? COOKIES!!
This recipe combines some of my favorite flavors: lime and salt with a hint of creamy avocado. I also played around with the piping shapes making stars AND roses. If you are not a master piper - not to worry - these cookies are very forgiving.
SALTED AVOCADO LIME COOKIES
Adapted from Created By Diane
- 1/2 large avocado
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick), room temperature
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- zest of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- In a mixing bowl, sift together flour and baking powder.
- In another bowl, cream together avocado, butter, cream cheese, and powdered sugar until smooth. Mix in lime juice, lime zest and vanilla. Then slowly add in flour mixture until everything is completely incorporated.
- Place cookie dough into pastry piping bag fitted with a star tip (1M or 2M). Pipe cookies onto sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Then top with a nice sprinkling of kosher salt. (See how to pipe rose shaped cookies below!)
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until cookies are golden around the edges. Enjoy!