|My great-grandmother Miss Mary|
Pimento Cheese Spread
Makes about 3 cups
- 2 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, freshly grated
- 1 pint of Miss Mary's Canned Pimentos (recipe below)
- 3 to 4 tablespoons of mayonnaise
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Place grated cheese into a bowl and stir in canned pimentos.
- One tablespoon at a time, add in mayonnaise until you reach your desired creaminess (I used 3 tablespoons).
- Salt and pepper to taste. Serve on crackers or spread on a sandwich made with squishy white bread. Enjoy!
Miss Mary's Canned Pimentos
Makes 5 to 6 pint jars
- 7 pounds red bell peppers (around 10 to 12 peppers)
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 ounce dry mustard
- 4 ounces white vinegar
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- Wash and remove seeds from red bell peppers and roughly chop. Place peppers in a bowl and cover with water seasoned with 2 tablespoons of salt. Soak overnight.
- The next day, add dry mustard, vinegar and dark brown sugar to a pot and heat over medium-high.
- Meanwhile, drain peppers and place into a food processor and cover with water. Process until peppers are finely chopped. Drain peppers again and add to vinegar mixture. Cook until peppers are tender, about 30 minutes, stirring often.
- Make a paste of flour and few tablespoons of water and slowly add to pepper mixture a little at a time, stirring constantly until mixture is thickened.
- Divide pepper mixture into hot sterilized jars. No need to process if hot. Enjoy!!