One thing both my mom and I love is PESTO!! I think it is one of the first things my mom showed me how to make. The recipe is simple: food processor, leafy herb, some kind of nut, cheese, garlic, lemon and olive oil! PRESTO PESTO!!!This pesto uses fresh basil, pistachios and manchego cheese (one of my favorite cheeses!!) Also, it has lots of fresh lemon making any dish you add it to taste like SUMMER!! When the weather is cold outside isn't it nice to have some fresh flavors to perk you up??
- 3 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup dry roasted pistachios, unsalted & shelled
- 1/2 cup good olive oil
- 1 cup Manchego cheese, grated
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- zest and juice of one large lemon
- red pepper flakes
- salt & pepper
- Place basil leaves, pistachios and olive oil in a food processor and blend, scraping down sides with a spatula.
- Add Manchego cheese, garlic, zest, lemon juice and continue blending until pesto is smooth. Add additional olive oil if pesto is too pasty.
- Season mixture with a pinch of red pepper flakes, salt and pepper to taste and blend again.
- Use pesto right-away, refrigerate or freeze for future use. Enjoy!