Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Cinnamon Sugar Bites

Cinnamon Sugar Flaky Delish!!
So far this week I have talked about pie and leftovers... so I thought it would only be appropriate to combine the two for this post and make it cinnamon sugary delicious.  If you read my blog Sunday - you hopefully enjoyed my recipe for Candy Cane Cookie Pies.  In the process of making those pepperminty delights I had quite a bit of leftover pie crust dough.  What to do??
Left over pie crust dough
I LOVE pie crust.  I can say with absolutely certainty that it is the only reason I eat pie.  Frankly I think all of that gooey filling gets in the way of the crunchy, flaky, buttery, toasty pie crust.  ((FYI: NEVER LOOK AT THE NUTRITIONAL INFO ON THE BACK OF THE PIE CRUST BOX!! TRUST ME!)) 
-- 
Did you know that the first pie crusts ever made (we're talking hundreds and hundreds of years ago) weren't meant to be eaten AT ALL?  Slice of Life Sunday says Middle Eastern civilizations of long-ago made the inedible olive oil-based crust to keep the filling moist while cooking and to prevent spoiling.  Man were they missing out! 
--
Well I certainly didn't want to let my extra pie crust go to waste!  No, sir!  So I decided to make Cinnamon Sugar Bites.  They are so simple to make they should be illegal!  (That and the amount of calories are probably horrendous but we won't think about that!)
Bites in the making
All you have to do is roll out your leftover pie crust dough and trim to make a rectangle.  Then divide and cut the dough into equal size bar shapes.  I used the left over dough from that to make even smaller bar shapes to make a tiered bite.  Then comes the cinnamon sugar!!
Cinnamon Sugar
Coat the bars with LOTS of melted butter and then liberally sprinkle the cinnamon sugar all over those bad boys!  I almost ate one raw because they looked to good!
Tiered cinnamon sugar bites
Bake and viola.... 


Look at those flaky, pie crust layers!!
Bet you can't eat just one!


CINNAMON SUGAR BITES


Ingredients 
  • Leftover pie crust dough
  • Flour
  • Melted butter
  • Cinnamon Sugar (equal parts cinnamon and sugar)
Veggie Ham Crescent Wreath ReciDirections

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Roll out leftover pie crust on a floured surface to prevent sticking.  Cut off edges to make a rectangle.  Divide and cut dough into equal-sized bar shapes.  Place on sheet pan sprayed with non-stick spray.  Repeat if you have additional leftover dough, making smaller bar shapes to create a tiered bite.
  • Brush melted butter on top of the bars then sprinkle liberally with cinnamon sugar.
  • Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.  Enjoy!


WHAT DO YOU MAKE WITH YOUR LEFTOVER PIE CRUST DOUGH?




2 comments:

  1. Oh these sound divine! (and easy enough for a screw up cook like myself to make) Thanks for sharing, and thoroughly enjoying your blog all together! ~ Heather

    ReplyDelete