Friday, March 30, 2012

Hot Giardiniera Hummus

Nothing screams Chicago more than hot giardiniera.  It is the ultimate Windy City condiment as I wrote about a few months ago.  I love this stuff.  Hot peppers, celery, olives, carrots and garlic... how can you go wrong?  So you can imagine how much I squealed when I saw a tub of Hot Giardiniera Hummus for sale at my local Whole Food.  Good golly... I knew I had to try and recreate this at home.
While hummus is pretty much available at every grocery store and comes in a variety of flavors... I really encourage you to make your own at home.  It is so easy!  You have few ingredients.  You don't have to worry about additives.  PLUS you can make it exactly to your tastes.  For me and Joe that means SPICY!
I do have one hummus making tip you should try!!  REMOVE THE SHELLS!  Okay, so I know this is tedious but it is so worth it if you want super creamy hummus!  It takes a few extra minutes but the shells pop right off. 
Break out your food processor and get blending.... let me know what you think!!

HOT GIARDINIERA HUMMUS
Adapted from Chef Earl's

Ingredients
  • 1 16-ounce can garbanzo/chick peas
  • 1/2 cup hot giardiniera, packed in oil
  • 3 tablespoons tahini
  • 2 large garlic cloves, minced
  • 4 tablespoons (or more) water
  • Salt & pepper
Directions
  1. Drain and rinse the chick peas then remove the peas from their shells.  This is a bit tedious but worth it!  Simply press the individual peas in between your fingers and the outer shell will pop off.  Discard the shells and place the peas in a food processor.
  2. Add in giardiniera, tahini and garlic cloves along with one tablespoon of water and puree.  Add in additional water until you reach your desired creaminess (for me it was 4 tablespoons.)  Salt & pepper to taste.  Top hummus with additional giardiniera and drizzle with oil from giardiniera jar.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment